My hat is off to Marsha Canright, my colleague in Public Affairs, who in spite of being painfully short staffed right now, “keeps on trucking.” Take as an example, this past week in review:
Week’s Top Stories
· Galveston County Daily News, March 9, 2007, UTMB Daylight Savings switch stokes fears. Quotes UTMB’s Todd Leach.
· Galveston County Daily News, March 8, 2007, High hopes for burn scar laser treatment. Quotes UTMB physician, Dr. Erica Kelly.
· Galveston County Daily News, March 8, 2007, Film Doctor. Photo essay on the filming of “Healer,” an educational film produced by UTMB’s Rodger Marion, Ph.D., assistant dean for academic affairs in the School of Allied Health Sciences.
· Galveston County Daily News, March 7, 2007, Program lets women offenders bond with their babies. Quotes UTMB nurse Kathi Simpson.
· Reliant Plant Magazine, March 7, 2007, Facilities earn spots as EPA top-performers
· Houston Chronicle, March 6, 2007, Teen’s survival in Gulf ‘pretty amazing.’ Article about teen that recovered at UTMB after 28 hours in the Gulf.
· Nanotechnology News, March 5, 2007, Nanoparticle Films May Lead to Artificial Retina. Quotes UTMB’s Todd Pappas
· Austin American Statesman, March 4, 2007, Academic efforts lucrative. Article on academic medicine and UTMB’s efforts to expand doctor training and other programs at the city-owned, Seton-operated Brackenridge Hospital
· Galveston County Daily News, March 4, 2007, UTMB ranks 10th in Texas for giving
· Dallas Morning News, March 2, FDA to study kids’ use of cold medicine. Quotes UTMB’s Dr. Wayne Snodgrass
Columns and Commentaries
· Galveston County Daily News, March 7, 2007, Avoiding children’s sports-related injuries. By Drs. Sally Robinson and Keith Bly.
· John Gohime with HDNet, the Dallas-based high definition news network, is planning to do a 20 minute segment on prison moms including a prison nursery in Nebraska and our ‘Love Me Tender’ program
· Reporters from Brownsville, Houston and Galveston are scheduled to cover our Match Day program on Thursday, March 15.
· March 6: Love Me Tender program lets some female offenders bond with their newborns
· March 5: Laser treatments seen as potential breakthrough in treatment of burn scars
· March 2: UTMB named 10th in Texas for charitable giving
· March 2: UTMB student wins honors at military medical center